Where to ride in MD
Fugly Horse of the Day
MD Horse clubs
Oak Ridge Park Equestrian Area
Located in Hughesville, Maryland on Oaks Road, the Oak Ridge Park Equestrian
Area is open daily from 8:00 a.m. to
Dusk (weather permitting). Features include a show area with two riding rings
and miles of equestrian trails.
Show Area: This section consists of two sand arenas measuring 320' x 150' and
280' x 150'. Additional features include a
large judges stand with roof and electric, bleachers, turf warm-up area, trailer
parking area with water, portable toilets and
additional trailer/spectator parking for large events. The show area is open on
a first come basis, except during scheduled
* Oak Ridge Park 2004 Scheduled Equestrian Events (coming soon)
* Special Events/Show Area Rentals: Oak Ridge is available for rental for
special events and shows. Please call the
Parks and Grounds Office at (301) 932-3470 for rental rates and availability.
Throughout the year, local equestrian groups schedule open and club events at
the park. Participating organizations
include: 4-H Mounted Wanderers, Potomac Valley Dressage Association (schooling
and recognized events), Southern
Maryland Quarter Horse Association, Maryland Arabian Horse Association, Southern
Maryland Trail Riders and other
local youth organizations.
*Please contact the above clubs/organizations directly for current event
* Riding Trails: There are over five (5) miles of interconnecting equestrian
trails at Oak Ridge Park. These trails are
marked and well maintained, and offer an enjoyable and challenging riding
experience for novice and experienced rides
alike. Novice riders will enjoy the level wooded and meadow side features of the
Orange Trail. More experienced riders
can find creek crossings, bridges and moderate inclines/declines on the Red,
Yellow and Blue trails.
*Trail maps are posted on the bulletin board in the trailer parking area.
South of Charles County -Take Route 5 (Leonardtown Road) North; turn left onto
Oaks Road at Wentworth's Nursery;
follow Oaks Road 31h miles to Park entrance on left.
Coming from the North Direction -Take Route 301 South to Waldorf; then left on
Route 5 (Leonardtown Road); go 7 miles
to flashing light (Bryantown intersection); turn right onto Oliver Shop Road; go
31/2 miles to Oaks Road, turn left onto
Oaks Road and follow 1 1/2 miles to Park entrance on your right.
Coming from the South Direction -Route 301 North to Waldorf; then right onto
Route 5 (Leonardtown Road) then follow
Equestrian Area Rules:
* All visitors use the facility at their own risk.
* All riders under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
* Facility open from 8:00 a.m. to dusk.
* The facility is for use on a first come, first served basis unless there is a
scheduled event which has been permitted
through the Department of Public Facilities.
* Trailers are to be parked in the"Trailer Designated" parking area. Please
dispose of all manure, hay, etc. in the bins.
* Riding is prohibited in the athletic fields complex.
* During periods of inclement weather, it may be necessary to close the
* Alcoholic beverages are prohibited.
* No glass containers.
* Pets must be kept on a leash.